- M Shobhit University, Meerut
- G Shobhit University, Gangoh
The Bachelor’s Degree Programme in Library and Information Science (BLIS) has been started by Shobhit University in response to the demand for large number of trained human resource in the field of library and information activities. Such human resources are required to occupy various positions in libraries, documentation centres and information centres/institutions in the country at various levels.
Librarianship as a profession provides a variety of employment opportunities. Today there are a number of career prospects in Library and Information Science. The qualified professionals are employed in various libraries and information Centers. Trained library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as teacher and as a Librarian. In fact, it is possible to choose the kind of library to suit one’s interest and background. In Librarianship, designations could be Librarian, Documentation Officer, Assistant Librarian, Deputy Librarian, Scientist (Library Science/ Documentation), Library and Information Officer, Knowledge Manager/ Officer, Information Executive, Director/Head of Library Services, Information Officer, and Information Analyst.
The objective is to train library professionals to manage the libraries using Library Management techniques. After learning the fundamentals, for the application of Library and information system and activities, students will learn best practices/techniques of Library and Information Science.
Upon successful completion of the programme the graduate would be able to:
- Understand about libraries and librarianship.
- Get acquainted with various standards and tools being used in processing, managing and retrieving information resources.
- Manage information traditionally as well as in modern ways.
Objectives of the Course
After studying this course the student will be able to:
- To impart the students a thorough understanding of patterns of knowledge development and its organization.
- To train the students in the advanced skills of information/ knowledge, gathering, processing, organization and retrieval.
- To educate the students with various standardized tools of library classification and cataloguing.
Career Opportunitie you can choose after the course
Librarianship as a profession provides a variety of employment opportunities. Today there are a number of career prospects in Library and Information Science. The qualified professionals are employed in various libraries and information Centers. Trained library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as teacher and as a Librarian.
- In School, College, Universities.
- In Central Government Libraries.
- In the training centers of banks.
- In National Museum and Archives.
- In NGOs working in different areas.
- In R&D Centre like ICAR, CSIR, DRDO, ICSSR, ICHR, ICMR, ICFRE, etc.